Saturday, March 1, 2008

Frantic Friday!

Friday was quite interesting...if you wanna call it that. It was a normal, uneventful, typical Friday, until around 10:00 am (recess time) at school. Kenny had just stopped by to get something from me and decided to hang around and visit with my students for a little while. We went outside for recess, and the kids were wild! The weather has kept us indoors for days now! Kids were running from one end of the playground to the next! I was enjoying my morning snack when a little girl walked up to tell me that one of my students needed help getting off one of the pieces of equipment. I walked over and guided her sefely down to the ground. When I turned away from her...BAM! Before I could even process what was happenening, a little boy bulldozed into my stomach. I did not have time to block him or move out of his way. He was running so fast that he could not stop as I turned. He hit so hard that he flew backwards and I doubled over in pain. The poor child jumped up and began apologizing as fast as he could. It was a complete accident...I knew he did not mean to run into me. Well, he ran off to get back to his playing as I am still doubled over. About 5 seconds after I was hit, tears began flowing because I realized where the impact had hit. I finally stood up and tried to dry my tears...luckily, it was time to go inside. I thought I had myself under control, but I was wrong. I went to the bathroom to gather myself and make sure I was ok....but I began to panic. All I could think about was how hard the hit was right to the spot that Addi lays her precious body. She has fought so hard for sooooo many weeks now, this could not be happening! Luckily, Kenny was there, and my para-pro and another para-pro immediately told me to leave. They began to take over my class so that I would leave. It did not take too much convincing though...I realized that I was not going to be able to gather myself. Kenny and I left and headed straight for the doctor. After waiting for what seemed like hours, we were called back and got to listen to Addi's heart. It was perfectly beating away. I felt my whole body relax and the knots in my stomach released. They said that as long as I didn't have any cramping or other noticable side effects, Addi and I should be fine. We were sooooo relieved! What a way to end a week!! For now on, I think I will be sitting on the bench during recess!

1 comment:

Kristi said...

girl mom told me this story and i was like "nu uh!" i know that boy didnt mean to but if it had been me i probably would have hit him and gotten fired! maybe thats why im not a teacher!

glad you and addi were okay!